Since we ran out of vinaigrette recipe cards last Saturday, we told folks we'd post the recipe on the blog. So, here it is:
· 1 cup chopped strawberries
· ½ cup walnut oil
· ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
· 2-3 Tbsp heavy cream
1. Puree or smash strawberries with a potato masher.
2. Add oil, vinegar, and heavy cream.
3. Mix well. Taste. Adjust to taste. You can add salt and pepper or you can add sugar if you like. We just keep it simple.
· Use your favorite salad greens
· We use mesclun mix, mizuna, frisée, spinach and arugula – but we adjust according to what’s available
· ¼ to ½ cup chopped walnuts
· 1-2 cups (depends on how much strawberry you want in your salad) chopped strawberries
1. Wash and spin salad greens.
2. Chop salad greens.
3. Add vinaigrette, chopped walnuts and strawberries.
4. Toss ingredients (or you can place strawberries separately on your plate after you’ve tossed the other ingredients to highlight the strawberries in your dish).
As usual, we've been keeping fairly busy on the farm. We've been planting a lot of our summer crops, including cucumbers, squash, zucchini, watermelon, corn, peanuts (our first time doing this, so it may just be a personal crop), and green beans. We'll be transplanting tomatoes, tomatillos, eggplant and peppers soon - likely later this week.
A gorgeous iris (not sure which variety - if anyone knows, please comment below).
Well, I suppose that's it for now. This week marks our first week of the Summer CSA. We'll be providing CSA members with strawberries, lettuce, kale, bok choy, tat soi, spinach, arugula, Swiss chard, frisee, mizuna and dried rosemary. We'll also include a weekly (hopefully!) newsletter with CSA shares for the first time this season. Members last year liked the blog, but wanted something a little extra. Our weekly newsletter will be an effort to meet that particular need.
If you're interested in joining our CSA, it's not too late! Please print out a copy of the CSA brochure (linked to the right of the screen) and mail us your first payment to Ben's Produce;1000 McLemore Road; Clayton, NC 27520. If you miss the first week or two, we'll prorate you, so no worries there. And, of course, if you have any questions, please email us at BensProduceNC@gmail.com or give us a call at 919.800.8898.
Have a fantastic week and thanks for stopping by!