Friday, April 8, 2011

Seedlings Galore!

Howdy do, folks?! It's been busy as can be out here at the farm. Ben and I have been making soil blocks, seeding flats, planting seedlings and direct seeding root veggies. Of course, that also means Ben's been prepping a whole heck of a lot of ground to get it ready so we can plant. I also finally tried my hand at the tiller to till up soil for our newest edition - the flower garden (so pumped!!!).

We've had lots of folks stop by since our last planting party to help us out on the farm in one way or another. Beth and the kids have been keeping up with the chickens (the kids LOVE gathering the eggs each morning), our neighbors Andy, Amanda and Duffie have been by to give us furniture (they got a new set) and keep us company, our friend Craig has been dropping off quite a lot of flower bulbs from his garden, Kevin came out to help Ben pot up some of the summer seedlings, and David came out to help Ben and I plant more potatoes (they're all in!!!) and weed and mulch some. Whew! I think that's everyone, but please don't be mad at me if I forgot to mention you.

As you know from our previous post, we're having a planting party this Sunday the 10th from 1-5pm. We've had a few folks email us to let us know they'll be stopping by to pitch in a hand and have a picnic with us too. Please come out if you're interested! Many hands make light work! It's true!

Alrighty. I just wanted to let y'all know we're gearing up (and have been for quite a while) for a fantastic season and I thought I'd show you some of the seedlings that we'll be planting in the next couple of weeks or so. Just to warn you, these pictures aren't very diverse. They're mostly pictures of a number of different varieties of the same veggies (e.g., multiple varieties of tomatoes, tomatillos, peppers, eggplant, squash, brassicas more generally, etc.) - but I thought it might help to demonstrate what we're doing out here if I bombard y'all with some pictures of everything. Plus, you'll be able to see the crazy awesome varieties we're planting this year (and these pictures are not really representative - there's even more to come!).

Okay. I guess I'll get to it then. We hope to see you Sunday. And we hope you enjoy the pictures!

































No comments:

Post a Comment