- 1 to 2 bunches of greens -- collards, kale, mustard, turnip, etc.
- 1 chopped onion
- Splash vegetable oil
- Splash apple cider vinegar
- 1 or 2 hot chile peppers, seeded and minced, optional
- Bunch of cooked bacon or smoked pork
- seasoned salt and ground black pepper or seasoned pepper
Preparation:Tear the greens into large pieces. Wash the greens well in a sink full of cold water, lifting greens out and letting grit stay on bottom of sink. Drain sink, change water and wash again; repeat washings until there is no grit on the greens. Cut away tough stems; roll large leaves and cut in strips or chop.
In a large kettle, sautee onions until translucent, then add 2 cups water, oil, vinegar and chile pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Gradually stir in the greens, allowing each batch to wilt before adding more geens. Put bacon or smoked meat in greens. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour if using collards. Cook for less time when using other greens, to your taste. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a serving dish; serve hot. Serve with cornbread.
Penne Pasta with Spinach and Bacon
- 1 (12 ounce) package penne pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed and torn into bite-size pieces
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the penne pasta, and cook until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Place bacon in the skillet, and cook until browned and crisp. Add garlic, and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, and cook until heated through.
- Place the spinach into a colander, and drain the hot pasta over it so it is wilted. Transfer to a large serving bowl, and toss with the remaining olive oil, and the bacon and tomato mixture.
Stir-Fried Kale and Broccoli Florets
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 7 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 chile pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, cut in thin strips
- juice of 2 limes
- Heat olive oil in a large wok or skillet over high heat. Stir in garlic and chile pepper; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in broccoli; cook 1 minute. Add kale, and cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Pour in lime juice, and season with salt to taste. Toss well.
Potato Turnip Mash-up
- 2 large turnips, cubed
- 3 white potatoes, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place turnip and potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook 25 to 30 minutes, until tender. Remove from heat, and drain.
- Mix milk and 2 tablespoons butter with the turnip and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Mash until slightly lumpy.